LIQUOR | HOSPITALITY | TOURISM | EVENTS
JPLC believes that the liquor, tourism, hospitality and event industries contribute enormously to the economy, community and culture in WA.
JPLC believes in long-term relationships with clients.
JPLC believes in the innovation, creativity and development occurring in the liquor and related industries and the potential for more. JPLC is keen to assist with growth and change.
Summary of Services
- Liquor licence types – advice
- New liquor licence applications
- Locality assessments, research and advice
- Precinct and other developments involving licensed premises – advice
- Variations to licence conditions
- Trading conditions – advice
- Extended trading permits
- Leasing regarding licensed premises
- Harm minimisation policies and risk management plans
- Objections and interventions
- Meetings with the Director of Liquor Licensing and delegates
- Local council issues regarding licensed and tourism premises inc section 40 certificates
- Local council submissions
- Hotel management agreements
- Public interest assessments
- Liquor licence transfers
- Consumer evidence – advice and evidence gathering tools
- Alterations/redefinitions of licensed premises
- Probity issues/positions of authority
- Disciplinary proceedings
- Show cause notices
- Alleged breaches of liquor laws
- Director of Liquor Licensing and Liquor Commission hearings
- Business contracts – various
- Changes to licensee company directors and shareholders
- Noise issues inc section 117 complaints and noise management plans
- Public event plans
Jessica has handled a significant number of projects of varying types and sizes involving the following:
- small bars
- hotels and other accommodation places
- cellar doors
- theatres and cinemas
- liquor stores
- shopping centre developments with liquor
- sporting complexes
- public events
- tourist facilities
- entertainment venues
- mixed-use precincts
Jessica Patterson – Legal Practice Director
Jessica has been working with the liquor and related industries in Western Australia since 1998. She has extensive knowledge, experience and relationships throughout those industries across the State and she operates to high standards and with an enviable success rate.
JPLC represents a wide variety of businesses operating around Western Australia, ranging from small family operations through to large companies and offering flexible cost and scope options.
Jessica provides a range of legal and consultancy services to a variety of businesses in the liquor, hospitality, tourism and events industries throughout the whole of Western Australia.
Jessica is involved in assisting her clients to set up, operate and manage bars, nightclubs, liquor stores, hotels, taverns, clubs, restaurants, wineries, breweries, sporting facilities, music venues, concert halls, tourist sites, public events and many other related types of businesses.
Jessica is a senior lawyer and consultant with over 22 years of specialist experience.
She started her career at Phillips Fox (now known as Lavan) as a Law Clerk/Articled Clerk. After working and studying full-time, attending the University of Western Australia, she progressed through to partnership at Lavan before branching out with her own specialist firm in 2021 after nearly 28 years with Lavan/Phillips Fox.
Jessica provides professional and practical advice and assistance. She deals with all aspects of operating a licensed business and has experience as a trainer in liquor licensing courses and responsible service of alcohol training for licensees, staff and managers.
Jessica acts on both contentious and non-contentious matters.
Jessica has a very broad range of clients, from small family-based country businesses through to large public companies.
Jessica advises and assists landlords and land developers associated with licensed premises and hospitality precincts as well as other businesses operating in the liquor, hospitality, tourism and event industries.
Jessica assisted in establishing the Small Bar Association of WA Inc and the Perth International Jazz Festival Inc and was a member of the management committee of each for several years. She has held and continues to hold positions on management committees of a range of non-profit organisations.